Reagan Summerside here and Auntie KiKi’s frettin’ something fierce. She and Uncle Putter are having their annual summer barbecue and KiKi knows what’s coming and not one bit happy about it.
1) KiKi buys the food, invites the guests, prays for sun.
2) KiKi sets the tables, makes the deviled eggs, pimento chess appetizers, sweet tea and mac and cheese, green beans with salt pork and a nice cocoanut cake.
3) KiKi prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces she’s conjured up, and takes it to Uncle Putter who is lounging beside the grill - beer in hand.
4) Uncle Putter PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL.
5) KiKi organizes the plates and cutlery and makes sure the guests have drinks and food.
6) KiKi comes out to tell Uncle Putter that the meat is burning. He thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer while he deals with the situation.
7) Uncle Putter TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND HANDS IT TO KiKi.
8) KiKi prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins, sauces and brings them to the table.
9) After eating, KiKi clears the table and does the dishes.
10) Everyone PRAISES Uncle Putter for have such a fine party and THANKS HIM for his cooking efforts.
11) Uncle Putter tells good boy jokes and swills whiskey.
12) Uncle Putter asks KiKi how she enjoyed his party and, upon seeing her annoyed reaction, concludes that there's just no pleasing some women....
I’m afraid this year Uncle Putter will wind up with his putter smashed right over his head.
What are barbecues like in your neck of the woods?