Monday, October 23, 2017

HALLOWEEN CANDY CAN BE FATAL TO OUR FURRY FRIENDS

By Mary Kennedy
                                                                                 

Did you know that chocolate is one of the worst things you can feed your pet? I know most of us wouldn't willingly give a pet chocolate, but just think of all that Halloween candy laying around the house. It's easy to forget that it's even there and if it's stashed in a plastic pumpkin with an open top, well, we both know a puppy could make short work of it.

What's so bad about chocolate? It contains not only caffeine but a compound called theobromine, which can be toxic to both dogs and cats. Granted, dogs are more attracted to chocolate than cats are, cats can't really taste "sweet," so it doesn't have the same drawing power. 
Dogs can experience severe digestive problems, along with restlessness, hyperactivity and trembling.

                                                                                

What's the remedy? Try giving your dog a bland diet, like the chicken and rice pictured above. It settles their stomach and is easy to digest.  

Another danger that Halloween poses to pets is glow sticks... 
                                                                                   

Cats love to play with (and chew on) glow sticks and the chemicals inside are caustic, resulting in mouth burns, severe drooling and pain.  Best to keep these put away and safe from the kitties.

Wrapped candy is another Halloween hazard to your pets.
                                            

Even though they look harmless, pets tend to eat the wrapping along with the candies, and the paper can get lodged in their intestines.

Just be aware of these hidden dangers and you and your pets can have a safe, happy Halloween. 

                                                                              
Mary Kennedy
Post a Comment