by Kate Collins
A bunch of girlfriends and I dined out this past week and all of us are watching our diets. So the topic of conversation centered around how to order from a menu and still eat healthy. Is that possible?
We came up with several ways, which are listed below. At the bottom, I'd like your feedback on how you like to eat healthy when dining out.
1. Hold the bread! Tell the waitress ahead of time not to bring the bread basket. If it's not there, you won't be tempted.
2. Hold the salad dressing! Order it on the side. And order a vinaigrette or just oil and vinegar, and pass on the fat laden creamy dressings.
3. Hold the fried food! Order broiled meat instead.
4. Hold the potatoes! Get an extra helping of the vegetable du jour and pass on starchy potatoes.
5. Hold the entree! Order a dinner salad instead. They are usually huge, and you can get chicken or steak if you want the protein.
6. Hold the dessert! Are you really hungry? Or is it the sight of all those luscious, fat-laden desserts they bring on trays that is enticing you? If you must eat something sweet, chose a fruit sorbet, or just get coffee instead.
My friends and I proved that it was not difficult to order a satisfying yet healthy meal when dining out. The main thing was that we were together, laughing and talking. Eating was secondary.
Now it's your turn. What do you do to eat healthy when dining out?