I’m sure you all have a radio station similar to Richmond’s Lite 98. They play soft rock, top 40’s, and a few oldies. On Thanksgiving Day, they happily announce that for the next month, they’ll be playing nothing but Christmas music.
This statement is immediately followed by a groan from my other half. He can’t stand the barrage of joyful tunes. I clap and smile. I’m always ready and willing to sing along to a holiday tune.
Still, there are a few I can’t stand. Seriously. I have to change the station or simply turn the radio off. Here they are:
1. The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don’t Be Late) – I can’t stand this song. I don’t think it’s cute. The voices are annoying, and Alvin’s tardy lead-in to each stanza in maddening. Not only that, but for the rest of the day I’m walking around squeaking, “Me? I want a hula hoop.” It’s like getting the Meow Mix song stuck in your head (sorry if I just did that to you).
2. All I Want For Christmas is My Two Front Teeth – Cute idea that goes on way too long.
3. Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer – Okay, the first time I heard it I laughed, but that was enough.
Now that I’ve listed my least favorites, I’ve got to try and narrow down my top three. Much, much harder.
1. All-time favorite Christmas Song…drumroll….O Holy Night (I like the Michael Crawford and Clay Aiken versions, but I’ll get teary-eyed to almost any version)
2. The Little Drummer Boy – David Bowie and Bing Crosby
3. Do You Hear What I Hear – Whitney Houston or the Faith Hill version
(For fun, I’d add You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch song, because how many times a year do you get to sing the lyric, “Given the choice between the two of you I’d take the seasick crocodile.” Or “stink, stank, stunk!”
Your turn! Share your favorites and the ones that make you cringe. I promise to listen to any I haven’t heard of before on YouTube.
Jingle all the way…